Shared_Meals are special events that occur within Portals, and connect diners in distant locations as if at one table, stretching through the internet.
A Shared Meal between Times Square, NYC and Kigali, Rwanda
- At a lunch between a tech hub in Brooklyn and a refugee/IDP camp in Erbil, Iraq, participants spoke about refugee food access challenges in camps and innovative solutions.
- And at a traditional Burmese breakfast between New York and Yangon, participants, including recent immigrants to the U.S., discussed the Rohingya crisis.
- At a citrus farm in Veracruz, farmers shared a meal with chefs in Mexico City, discussing their sustainable farming practices.
- Other meals include an Interfaith Shabbat, a lunch focused on undocumented immigrants, and a dinner with Syrian refugees in Berlin.
- At the the Obama Foundation’s Inaugural Summit, chef José Andrés spoke about his work in Puerto Rico with participants dining in Times Square including Bill Yosses and Julia Moskin.