June 16, 2016
By James Massoud
On June 22nd President Obama’s Global Entrepreneurship Summit returns, with the aim of showcasing inspiring and eye-opening entrepreneurs from around the world. Virgin Unite partnered with Google for Entrepreneurs exclusively to share all the insights and need-to-knows on this year’s very exciting Summit.
What is the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES)? The GES is an annual event hosted by President Obama to connect global entrepreneurs together so that ideas can be exchanged and innovative solutions can be presented in tackling challenges around the world.
Who will be there? This year’s Summit has attracted some of the world’s finest entrepreneurs, with confirmed speakers including:
- Shiza Shahid, Co-Founder and CEO of Malala Fund, discussing What Attracts Venture Capital/Private Equity
- Brian Chesky, Founder and CEO of Airbnb, involved in a Master Class on The Shared Economy and Emerging Markets
- Mike Krieger, co-founder of Instagram, part of a Master Class on An Immigrant’s Story
- Ime Archibong, Director of Global Product Partnerships for Facebook, speaking on Entrepreneurship in Sub-Saharan Africa: Infrastructure and the Enabling Environment
- Daymond John, CEO and Founder of Fubu
What can we expect? GES 2016 will include a variety of workshops, panels, talks, pitch competitions, mentoring and networking sessions. On the agenda are a number of topics, such as Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership, Entrepreneurship in Africa, China and the Middle East, and Secrets of Silicon Valley. Keynote speakers not to be missed include:
Travis Kalanick, CEO of Uber, opening speech on Entrepreneurial Inspiration
Mary Grove, Director at Google for Entrepreneurs, closing speech on Trends in Entrepreneurship
Where will it be taking place? This year will be the seventh instalment in the GES series and the second time it will be hosted in the USA. The very first GES in 2010 was hosted in Washington, this year it will be hosted in California’s entrepreneurial hub of Silicon Valley between June 22nd - 24th. Highlights from all previous Summits can be viewed on the U.S. Department of State’s website.
Keep Watching: One of the most celebrated aspects of this year’s GES is Shared Studios’ Portals, which comes to London for the first time on June 22nd. Don’t miss our exclusive interview with co-founder Michelle Moghtader, as well as our own visit to London’s portal next week.